Friday, September 11, 2009

Ok, so I started writing this post last week. In it, I mentioned the rain and how it wasn’t too bad. A lot like home actually. Well… that was 6 days ago and it hasn’t stopped raining. It rained enough that some schools have been cancelled for the entire week because of the flooding. The CYF (Children, Youth and Family) group that is training nearby— and one trainee from my group— had to be evacuated to hotels because of flooding in their houses/barangays (neighborhoods). My house didn’t flood, but the houses connected at the back of my house did. I didn’t realize how close the river (or at least I think it’s a river) is to my house until my host mom took me out to see how high it was. We took a special trip to the mall yesterday so that we could all buy rain boots to help the next time it floods.


So other than the rain/flooding, things have been going well here. We are just finishing up our second week of training. It’s hard to believe that I’ve only been here for 3 weeks. But at the same time, it feels like I’ve been here forever! It’s a very weird feeling. I still can’t completely wrap my head around the idea that I will be here for 2 years. And I think I’ll have this conflicted idea of time for a while.

I have had a really good time getting to know my cluster-mates over the last week. There are 6 education trainees here in my Barangay – me, Travis, Mel, Jessi, Carlotta, & Eric – and 5 more down the highway about 5-10 minutes – Jerica, Shauna, Shea, Chris, & Brandon. It’s a really fun group to be with. I definitely lucked out.


It’s just about time for me to head to my technical training class now. Here’s a quick list of things that would be great in a package *wink*:
Letters! (they don’t need to be accompanied by anything, I’d just really love to know what’s going on at home!)
*Q-Tips (I’m really picky and only like the brand name ones)
*Flavored drink packets, like Crystal Light, Gatorade, or anything like that (as long as they’re in individual packets so that the ants can’t get in!)
*Good books or even just book suggestions (also, let me know if you want the book back)
*Pictures (I didn’t get a chance to get many developed before I left)
*Anything else you can think of!

I tried to post pictures but it wasn't working. I'll try again next time!

In case I didn't say this before... the best time to call me is Saturday afternoon (my time) or any time on Sunday. But really, call me whenever. :) Love you guys!!

1 comment:

  1. I mailed you a letter yesterday (Thursday 9/10), so you will have to let us know how long it takes for things to get to you. Be on the look out! I sent it to the PO Box address. -- Katie (& Kyle)

    ReplyDelete